From Long Island (Letter 1)

Long Island - Promising young cellmate I taught to trade the financial markets. Released on the 11th of December '05 and rearrested February ’08. Alleged to have committed forgery and hit an officer with a car. Recently sentenced, he’s writing from Buckeye prison.

How are you? Sorry it’s taken so long to write. I honestly didn’t expect to be unsentenced for so long. I get out next month on the 22nd. I must say, not a damn thing has changed. Same people, same food, different prison, but the yard is identical to the one we shared. It makes it strange being here sometimes.

I was assigned to the Special Projects Crew last month. Trust me it sounds much more glamorous than it is. Last time we worked we were pulling weeds in the perimeter between the outside fences. I think we’re going to start painting the buildings next. It keeps me busy.

We had a really warm winter. By the end of Feb it was already in the 80’s. Ridiculous. However, I think I’m going to enjoy my first summer out of county jail in 4 years. I can’t believe I held out for so long. At least I won’t have to spend the summer in here. Hopefully, I’ll be going from an air-conditioned can to an air-conditioned work place.

Speaking of work. They lowered the unemployment rate from 9% to 8.6% last week. They said it added approximately 250,000 more jobs nationwide. I don’t know how many Arizona got. That’s one thing that scares the hell out of me about getting out. They say the economy is still horrible.

I know this might sound odd from someone sitting in prison, but I’ve had a great deal of good fortune bestowed upon me in the last year. The plea bargain being the greatest, but then landing here. I’ve had no problems at all, and have been embraced by a really good group of guys in the pod. Jobs are scarce, yet I got one of the best on the yard. Then there’s all of the little things that happen everyday that prove to me how blessed I am. Unfortunately, I live with this looming feeling of dread that something bad is coming.

From the information I’ve gathered from people that knew TwoTonys, it seems that I missed his death by over a year. I’d like to think he’s in a better place, but you know as well as I that he lived a brutal life with others on the losing end more often than not.

My mom and sister found an apartment in central Phoenix for me to move directly into when I get out. Mom’s offered to take care of the bills for a couple of months until I get on my feet. My family is investing a lot in me this time and I’m going to run with it. I think that if I can just get a job as the economy gets back to normal, I’ll be able to do better and better.

I made a great discovery last week at rec. There’s a guy in the other pod that gets Barron’s, and has back issues from Dec on. He got out of the Marines with a little money, and trades from in here with the help of his sister. He’s smart and a refreshing break from the usual conversation. 

If you write back please send your e-mail address, and I’ll write as soon as I get out. Hopefully this letter makes it to you. I’m looking forward to hearing your latest successes. If you have any questions or need any information about how it is in here now, let me know, and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Take good care my friend.

L&R

Long Island


Shaun Attwood   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to read!

Mandy

Anonymous said...

This is really good news. Glad to hear you are doing well.


~Big Jason